JULES I. CRYSTAL
Labor Arbitrator and Mediator
- One South Dearborn Street
- Suite 2100
- Chicago, Illinois 60603
- Phone: (312) 212-4444
- Fax: (312) 212 4445
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D. (1971)
- University of Michigan, B.A. (1968)
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeal for the Fourth, Seventh, Ninth and Federal Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois and Northern District of Indiana
PROFESSIONAL WORK HISTORY
- Labor and Employment Law
- 2007 - Present: Labor Arbitrator and Mediator (full-time, 2010 - present; part-time, 2007-2010).
- 1975 - 2010: Private Practice - Practice included labor and employment law/litigation, collective bargaining negotiations, arbitration proceedings, unfair labor practice cases and employment discrimination matters.
- 1971 - 1975: National Labor Relations Board (Trial Attorney) - Investigated, tried and served as hearing officer in unfair labor practice cases and pre-and post-union representation matters.
TRADITIONAL LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT LAW EXPERIENCE
Law practice encompassed all facets of labor and employment law, including federal and state court litigation, and proceedings before federal, state and local agencies, including the National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Labor, Illinois Human Rights Commission, Indiana Civil Right Commission and Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development; negotiating collective bargaining agreements; counseling clients regarding a variety of traditional labor and employment law issues; and participating in more than 200 labor arbitrations.
COLLECTIVE BARGAINING EXPERIENCE
Has participated in the negotiations of more than 150 collective bargaining agreements, including initial and successor contracts, and also has bargained over mid-term contract modifications, letters of understanding and grievance settlement agreements, working, collaborating and negotiating with such labor organizations as the American Federation of Teachers (“AFT”); Airline Pilots Association (“ALPA”); Association of Flight Attendants (“AFA”); Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (“BLET”); Confectionary, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union (“BCTWU”); Chicago Laborers' District Council (“CLDC”); Communications Workers of America (“CWA”); Glass, Molders, Pottery, Plastics and Allied Workers International Union (“GMP”); International Union of Operating Engineers (“IUOE”); International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts (“IATSE”); International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (“IAMAW”); International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (“IBEW”); International Brotherhood of Teamsters (“IBT”); National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians (“NABET”); Office & Professional Employees International Union (“OPEIU”); Paper-Allied, Industrial, Chemical and Energy Workers International Union (“PACE”); Service Employees International Union (“SEIU”); United Automobile Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (“UAW”); United Mine Workers of America (“UMWA”); United Steelworkers of America (“USWA”); United Transportation Union (“UTU”); and University Professionals of Illinois, IFT-AFT (“UPI”).
ARBITRATION AND MEDIATION EXPERIENCE
Has arbitrated disputes in the private and public sectors, which have included the following industries and public entities: Airline; Apartment Leasing; Automotive; Chemical, Communications; Construction; Drug Store; Education; Entertainment; Financial; Food Production and Packaging; Funeral Home; Grocery; Health Care; Hotel and Hospitality; Janitorial and Building Maintenance; Local and State Government; Mining; Nursing Home; Office Management; Packaging; Paint and Coatings Manufacturing; Petroleum; Plastics; Printing and Publishing; Radio and Television; Railroad; Research, Design and Development; Restaurant; Retail Trade; Rendering; Security; Steel; Transportation and Storage; Trucking; Utilities; Warehousing; and Waste Management Service.
Has mediated disputes in both the public and private sectors, which have included the following: Airlines; Financial Institutions; Law Firms; Manufacturers; Municipalities; and Universities.
ARBITRATION AND MEDIATION PANELS
- American Arbitration Association (AAA) - Roster of Labor Arbitrators
- American Arbitration Association (AAA) - Roster of Neutrals
- Circuit Courts of Cook County and Lake County, Illinois - Mandatory Arbitration Program; Chancery Division Mediation Program; Law Division Major Case Court-Annexed Civil Mediation Program
- Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service ("FMCS") - Roster of Labor Arbitrators
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority ("FINRA") - Roster of Arbitrators
- Illinois Department of Labor - Roster of Arbitrators
- Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board - Roster for Mediation, Grievance Arbitration, Interest Arbitration and Fact-Finding
- Illinois Labor Relations Board - Illinois Public Employee Mediation/Arbitration Roster
- Illinois State Board of Education - Hearing Officer, Teacher Dismissals and Teacher Licensure Revocations and Dismissals
- National Mediation Board - Roster of Arbitrators
- State Universities Civil Service System - Roster of Hearing Officers for Labor Grievances
PUBLICATION AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Has written and is a frequent speaker on various aspects of labor and employment law at labor and employment law conferences, and has been a contributor to the Practice Handbooks of the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education and to other legal publications.
- American Bar Association - Labor and Employment Law Section: Committees on Alternative Dispute Resolution in Labor and Employment Law, State and Local Government Bargaining and Employment Law, Development of the Law Under the National Labor Relations Act, and Practice and Procedure Under the National Labor Relations Act; Litigation Section: Committee on Employment & Labor Relations
- Chicago Bar Association - Labor and Employment Law Section
- Association of Attorney-Mediators
TEACHING AND RECOGNITION
- Adjunct Faculty (2006-present):
Northwestern University School of Law, DePaul University College of Law, Chicago-Kent College of Law. Courses taught include: Labor Law; The Collective Bargaining Process; Labor and Employment Considerations Impacting the Start-up and Evolution of a Privately-Owned Company; Privacy in the Workplace.
- The College of Labor & Employment Lawyers - Fellow
- Illinois Best Lawyers® and Illinois Super Lawyers® 2016 ("Alternative Dispute Resolution")